Time to Win
Time to Win demystifies handicap-based sailboat racing.
- Calculates corrected finish times between boats.
- Compare corrected times.
- Analyzing the impact of rating changes due to rig or sail changes.
- PHRF, IRC, ORC formulas.
- Works with Time on Time (TOT) and Time on Distance(TOD).
- Super easy to enter ratings and elapsed time.
- PEstimated separation distance.
- PSelectable PHRF TOT parameters for local fleet averages and local wind conditions.
Boat B1 crosses the finish line in 90 minutes, finishing behind a faster rated boat (B2) with a faster rating. Using US Sailing PHRF, B1 rating is 117, and B2 rating is 106. Time to Win results: B1 must finish behind B2 by 1 minute and 29 seconds or less to win. The estimated separation distance at the finish is between 490 and 981 feet.
Changing handicap ratings.
A J80 has a PHRF rating of 117. The foresail is a 150% genoa. If the owner used a 100% class jib the rating is 123. What are the corrected time impacts for a 2-hour race? Time to Win results: On a 2-hour race, there is a 1-minute and 5-second difference. The baseline difference is 32 seconds per hour.